Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Recoding Live Drums Using Macbook Microphone

Now I am by no means a sound engineer and a great drummer. But I like to see what I can do with what I have. I have a very basic drum set and have managed to get by with drumbeats with a few tweaks to how you normally record drums. For one not many people attempt recording drums like this because you have to record each drumbeat separately. I found playing simple beats and looping as the optimal solution. You must tune down the input volume or you will encounter serious gain issues. Last, the microphone should be placed far away enough to blend with the amount of reduction in the input volume.

I found it was hardest recording cymbals. I had to put the mic as far as I could and turn down the track volume a good bit. Everything else I recorded at a medium distance from either the snare or kick with the same input volume but raised the track volumes.




No comments:

Post a Comment